Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Why I Run


1. It helps me shed the baby weight. About 2/3 of the weight came off really fast. It was kinda fun stepping on the scale when I came home from the hospital & the few days after that. But then it hit a stand-still. Once I was consistent in my running & stopped drinking sodas, the rest of the weight has been falling off. Last I checked I have only 4 pounds to my pre-pregant weight!


2. It's a sport that I'm actually good at. Let's face it. I'm not athletic. I was never any good at basketball (maybe it's the height). In high school I was ON the volleyball team but I didn't start. Never bothered with soccer. Sometimes I can hit the ball in baseball. But running has given me confidence that I can do something well in the sports world.


3. It's been a great way to blow off steam or give me time to think or pray. This especially helped before I was pregnant with Shaylin. I started running after my 4th miscarriage. Running let me put my energy in something than just growing bitter. Work was really hard back then, too, so somedays it was nice to put my frustrations on the treadmill.


4. It keeps me humble & keeps my pride in check. This one isn't easy to admit. Sometimes after a long run I've been tempted to post a status on Facebook like this: "I just ran (X # of) miles. What did you do?". But that's just my sinful pride coming out. I'm also reminded often that I'm not the best. Just a couple weeks ago I was running 9 miles & feeling great that I was holding my desired pace & then this skinny girl coasts right by me with perfect form. All I can do is my best & thank God for the ability.


5. I want to be an example to my daughter. Shaylin's swing & the treadmill are positioned perfectly so I can look back & see her & she can watch me. Sometimes I catch her just staring at me. I want her to see her mother staying active & being healthy so she'll want to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I really admire your diligence at running! I'm not good at any sports either, so maybe I should take it up. I've always wanted to run a marathon. I don't know if I ever will, but if I do, I'll point to you as one of my inspirations.

    ReplyDelete