Friday, May 21, 2010

I'm also a runner

I started back running as soon as my doctor gave me the green light, which was at 6 weeks post-partum. He warned me to go slow since my body had just been through a whole lot for the past 9 months. As a pleasant surprise I didn't have near the problems I thought I would, particularly with my hips.

On May 8, I ran my first post-partum race, a 5k called the Mom Run. It couldn't have been a more perfect first race! My official time was 36:53, which is only 8 seconds slower than last year's race.

Now I've set my sights on a marathon. Most days I really feel like I can do it. The marathon is in October so I still have just over 4 months to train & since I don't work outside the home (because being a mom is still work!) I have more time to train. But then other days I kinda freak out!

But I really want to do this & I feel like this is my one shot to do one, at least for quite a few years if God blesses us with more children.

I'll update from time to time on how it's going. The actual scheduled training starts in 3 weeks & the marathon is on October 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment